Sunday, May 26, 2013

Yellowcab Goes Sauceless: Mrs. Hudson's Pizza

Lately I've been reading a lot of reviews on Yellowcab's Mrs. Hudson's Pizza. They've been raving about this sauceless pizza for quite a bit already. Some of my favorite bloggers swear that they like it. Since they launched this food item as a limited edition, and would probably be gone by the end of June, me and my family decided to give this baby a try.

Yellowcab's biggest pizza would be around 18 inches. Since they changed how you refer to your pizza sizes, from merely ordering it based on it's diameter, they now refer to them as regular, family and new yorker sizes. They confused me a bit there. On the bright size, they now give you an estimate on how many people can share each size of pizza (regular-4pax, family-6pax, and new yorker-8pax). We ordered one new yorker size with a pitcher of coke to be shared among the 7 of us.

Since the pizza is relatively new, I didn't really feel too confident of my choice. It didn't help that half of the waiting time my sisters kept nudging on why I didn't choose New York's Finest (our staple dish at Yellowcab) and that given the picture, there wasn't much toppings. Also there seem to be an abundance of tomatoes which would mean that this pizza would have to be high on uric acid---one of the enemies of my aging parents.

When our pizza arrived, I was pleasantly surprised at how big it seemed. Maybe it had more to do with the color than the actually size though since they didn't really deviate from their original measurements. :P I would have liked our pizza in square cuts though (which you can ask the staff to do but I unfortunately forgot).

Upon tasting the pizza, I was again surprised. It was sweet. I knew it would have a bit of sweetness but I never actually expected the pizza to be just sweet! They claimed to have stroke a balance between sweet and salty but sadly it failed my expectations. It was just sweet. It's not bad or anything just wasn't what I expected. The cheese didn't even contribute a bit of saltiness to the dish. We ended up adding a bit of red pepper sauce to make it more palatable. It was just like eating sweet bread. Also, some parts of the pizza was caramelized making me think of toasted bread with butter and sugar on top. Since this pizza makes use of caramelized onions, I think the sweetness of the onions overpowered the dish. The pizza's saltiness it seemed mostly relied on its prosciutto. Again, it didn't do much for the dish in its entirety.

There were more ingredients in the pizza than tomatoes, prosciutto and caramelized onions. There were herbed Boursin cheese, which you can see as lumps in the pizza, that added a bit of creaminess. There were also tarragon and other premium cheeses. Since I don't really know what tarragon tastes like, I didn't really notice. And the other premium cheeses would have been good if they gave more saltiness than creaminess.

Overall, we weren't really satisfied with this pizza. It's not that it's bad, it just didn't fit what we we're looking for. As much as my mom said she liked it since it wasn't salty, she'd still go for our regular New York Finest.

On a brighter side, it was really a different pizza experience. ;)





How was your Mrs. Hudson experience? Share your thoughts. :)

Give them a hit!
Yellowcab's FB Page
Yellowcab's Official Site

No comments:

Post a Comment