Saturday, March 29, 2014

Cakes: From Scratch And A Box Mix :)

This blog hasn't been updated for quite sometime. I already got a lot of backlogs that I wanna write about but I don't know where to start. A lot of things happened this past few months. Lots of tears were shed because of both academic and personal reasons. Being in Med school is tough and losing the person you trust most, your lover, makes it harder. Again, my guy and I drifted apart. I'm not gonna elaborate much on this but this time, I really think this is the end of our story. What a sad intro! I'm feeling a bit better now though so no need to worry. :)

Just a few of the things I did this week is to finally try my hand in baking. This isn't really the first cake I made but this is the first time I baked a cake entirely from scratch and with frosting! So yeah, I'm really proud of it. ;)

Presenting Cubbie Shell's Red Velvet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting!


I only had one cake pan with a size I'm not even sure off so the recipe I followed gave me a bit too much cake mix so I decided to split it and make two cakes instead. It was a good thing too since I kinda messed up in the first cake. :)) I thought the cake was already done so I took it out and look-and-behold, it wasn't! Haha Half of my cake was still undone. So off it went back in the oven for another 10 minutes or so. This explains why only half of the cake was shown here. :)) Half of it, the fallen part, wasn't decent enough to be frosted. It was good enough to eat though so it was ok. :)



This second trial was so much better than the first one. I got it all right! It wasn't overcooked in any way. Needless to say, it was much softer than the first. ;)


 Frosted with dragees. Design care off my little helper, my niece.


The recipe I followed for this cake can be seen here. Initially, I thought I made a mistake following the instructions 'coz there was really a lot of oil in this recipe but after mixing it a few more times, eventually the mix evened up. I really liked how the cake turned out. I was just a bit surprised that it needed that much food color. a whole McCormick bottle (20ml). But again, I did like the cake, what I didn't like was the frosting. I used Heritage Cream Cheese and Che-Vital butter for the frosting. The recipe called for 6 cups of confectioner's sugar which I think was too much. After roughly 4 cups of sugar, I gave up following the frosting recipe since it was already too sweet for me.

Overall, I'm still proud of myself for making a cake entirely from scratch! :))

So since I wrote about baking already, do check out one of my favorite baker bloggers, Bakerella. She has a ton of cool stuff up her blog. I first encountered her blog a few years back when she posted about a valentine chocolate box made entirely out of cake! I was really amazed. ;) I like her. Challenge yourself too. Make something yummy this summer. ;)


Btw, I had a lot of left over frosting so we decided to make carrot cake earlier. This one's from a box (Maya) though but still yummy. It's funny, though, that I can't seem to get the right temperature or time to bake this. It was a bit hmm too moist? To the point where I question whether it's already done. Haha But it's good, nonetheless.


The presentation here's a bit unsightly so I cropped it instead. I was a bit impatient waiting for the cake to cool down so you can guess what happened. :)) My niece had a great time baking with me though. Ain't she such a sweetie? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment